Thursday 17 August 2017

A Workshop With Kerry Harding...


Last month I visited The St Ives School Of Painting for an Experimental Oil Painting workshop with Kerry Harding. I have been a fan of Kerry's work for years and was very excited to meet her and see her paint.
The studios have been recently renovated and are so beautiful and inspiring, I was in heaven!
This handsome chap caught my eye and later appeared in one of my paintings!
Just look at the view!
Kerry even made us cups of tea!
And the crockery is from the fabulous Leach Pottery!
Now I am a tad nervous when it comes to oil painting, but Kerry was an excellent tutor.
She was so generous with her knowledge and techniques and the examples that she showed us were stunning...
We quickly went to experiment, dripping, pouring and scraping to our hearts' content.
I went through quite a few plastic gloves!
And soon everyone's tables were looking very exciting!
I really enjoyed building up the layers on my little abstracts.
The School were extremely generous with the materials available.
I even became inspired when I spilled some thinner onto the newspaper!
Here are my three little abstract paintings,(and the horse picture that I did during the dinner break!)
And then it was time to down pinnies and go home...


I really can't recommend The St Ives School Of Painting workshops enough.
If you're in Cornwall it's definitely worth treating yourself to a day (or two or three!) of pure inspiration.
Everyone there was so helpful and friendly and the place is stunning.
And on my way home I did a little curtesy as I was passing Alfred Wallis' cottage...




4 comments:

  1. You came out of the workshop with some fabulous paintings. I love your use of the monochrome too. You can get so many different shades without having to add any further colour! Time we'll spent I'd say and the room itself looks inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it really was a great day. I'll definitely go back x

      Delete
  2. I love the muted tones in your paintings and your horse is very handsome.

    ReplyDelete

Would you like to make a comment chuck?
I'd love to hear your thoughts, just a minute and I'll put the kettle on.
Custard cream or bourbon?