Thursday 18 July 2013

Never Judge A Book By Its Bling.


I never really knew my great Auntie Hilda all that well.
I saw her on occassion and was fascinated by her immaculate marcel-waved hair and flambuoyant glasses.
But she seemed to be from a different time, a different world all together.
I was given a huge pile of her costume jewellery when she died.


And as I sifted through the diamantes and rhinestones, little snippets of her life emerged.
There were keep sakes from dances and souvenirs from holidays.
And there was this:


Never would I have imagined my great Aunt Hilda owning, never mind treasuring, a Popeye brooch (with movable forearm nonetheless!)


And then I realised what I had done, something that I deplore with all my heart.
I had pre-judged and pigeon-holed.
And for that I am truly sorry Auntie Hilda.

Every time I wear this I will remember the lesson that you taught me, and I shall wear my bling with pride.
x

5 comments:

  1. I guess theres a bit of 'Popeye' in everyone...we just have to look for it :-) I had an auntie Hilda too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise words indeed Hettie!
    Maybe everyone should have an auntie Hilda!
    By the way, am a huge fan of your blog x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post, I also had an Aunt Hilda, maybe she had a popeye brooch too ... there's a little cheeky faerie within us all, sometimes she escapes ~ Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, thank you for the timely reminder to keep an open mind and heart! What a lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you kind ladies!
    Feel all fuzzy inside now!
    X

    ReplyDelete

Would you like to make a comment chuck?
I'd love to hear your thoughts, just a minute and I'll put the kettle on.
Custard cream or bourbon?