Monday 15 July 2013

Stitching Revelation!


Sometimes I am so daft I scare myself.
For ages I've struggled with sketching directly onto the fabric before scribbling away on the sewing machine.
Although this wasted loads of fabric, I didn't want my designs to look the same.
But then I thought, why not draw my design, trace it and then stitch through the tracing paper?
Doh!
Why didn't I think of that before!
And I don't think it looks mass produced because both of these patchwork pins were traced form the same sketch and they look different.
The one on the top seems a bit skittish and the little fellow above seems much more 'together' and self assured.
Do I sound bonkers now?
Here's the original sketch.
With this pair of pins they even turned out as different sexes!
Original sketch.

Mr. Hare.
Mrs.Hare!

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous work, does the tracing paper pull away neatly? Have tried this method with my faerie wings and always had trouble removing it. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even better than tracing paper is a paper called "golden hands" - it tears away much more cleanly - can send you some if you want to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have trouble sometimes tearing it away, especially if the stitching is close together.
    Thanks for the tip, I shall definitely try some, and thank you for the very kindly offer.
    Thank you both for the comments and encouragement x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This technique is obviously working well for you. Maybe a little bit of paper left here & there won't hurt - adds to it's uniqueness! Tea bag paper & photographer's lens cloth can be used to similar effect too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all so much for the fab advice! Can't wait to give them all a try! X

    ReplyDelete

Would you like to make a comment chuck?
I'd love to hear your thoughts, just a minute and I'll put the kettle on.
Custard cream or bourbon?