Wednesday 31 July 2013

The Charity Shopping Charter:

A couple of weeks ago something happened in my favourite charity shop that shocked me to the core.
It was one of those things that take a while to simmer under your skin, so that by the time you get home you're in a right old mardy.
So now I have to get it off my chest.
Are you ready to hear about this heinous crime against us hardy, belligerent and dedicated charity shoppers?
Well, then I shall begin.
As I was happily perusing the shelves of (possible) treasure and delight, a young whippersnapper sashayed up to the counter and said, (not even in hushed tones, may I add):
'Have you got any '50's stuff, you know, in the back?'
I am sure that there was a sharp intake of breath throughout the shop.
And needless to say, young Miss Whippersnapper- Cheeky Chops left said counter, treasure- less (yet shamelessly unawares of her insolence).
So I thought that a charter of charity shopping etiquette should be drawn up for the whole land to see.
(May I take this opportunity to apologise in advance, as I know that your thrifting manners will be impeccable, but humour me please, it's all part of my blogging therapy!)
THE CHARITY SHOPPING CHARTER:
1: Always check the window display, many a treasure can be lost in the initial rush of excitement as you walk through the door.
2: Always respect the ladies, (otherwise known as 'the sacred keepers of the treasure').
3: If charity shopping with a friend, never shop together. Continue your conversation from the other sides of the shop. (Yes, I know that shouting across the room may seem a tad impolite, and not befitting my list of right and proper behaviour,but seasoned thrifters will know and understand). There is nothing, I repeat nothing, worse than a simultaneous grab of a most delicious piece of vintage fabric. If you are close friends this will then lead to a never ending 'no, you take it', 'no, no, you' wrangle. This only leads to heart- ache and the 'winner' will forever look upon the treasure with guilt.
4: You have to donate.
5: You have to attend. Regularly.
6: You never give up the search.
7: You cannot ask for things 'from the back room'. That is the inner sanctum. Only the sacred keepers of the treasure can enter, or offer you treasure, from the back room.
Phew! That's better.
Thank you.

24 comments:

  1. ha ha ha! i never EVER charity shop with a friend i would hate even my best friend if she got something i NEEDED!!!!! I charity shop with my {grown up} daughter and son as they don't want the same treasures as me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very right and true words Mrs.B!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is the best post ever and so blinking true!!!
    sadly around these parts secret dealings go on in the sacred back rooms and lots of treasure does not even get its moment to shine upon the shelves :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew, thank you for that, Mrs B. I think I already adhere to this charter. I was once invited to the back room sanctum - my girls think he had dubious, ulterior motives. Me? I was just looking for lampshades!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no shame in what we have to do for our treasures!
      Ha!
      X
      (Only joking chuck!)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your comments ladies!
    I am most perturbed by the back room stories I am hearing!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you and me, Mrs B would get along perfectly on a shopping trip!! i swear this is written on ancient stone somewhere!?? xx :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness, that is just plain rude! No doubt heading back to sell fashionable items, priced up to high heavens to the masses on Ebay :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grrrrrrr Makes me so cross!
      They have no soul!
      X

      Delete
  8. A friend has told me of her cousin who so rich she doesn't need to work volunteers in a cs so she can have first dibs at a tip top shop. Nothing bad in that just pure envy at all the beauties she's had before us poor hunters. Can't stand collecting quickly because vintage is the thing at the moment. Don't these younguns know its a lifetime of collecting that gives you the pleasure. Great post glad to have found you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least we've had the thrill of the ever ending quest!
      X
      Love your blog chuck!

      Delete
  9. Gasp, most improper! What are people's opinion on those who leave their contact details so the shop can call then when sought after treasures come in? On one trip I overheard a shopper say to the sacred treasure keeper ' You called to say you had some embroidery books.' The said sacred treasure keeper then went to the back room sanctum and brought out 6 beautiful vintage embroidery books! I was most upset that I would not even get to peruse these let alone the chance to purchase them!:( Should there be an addition to the charter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my Lord above!
      I'd never even considered such a master crime!
      I am in shock!
      X

      Delete
  10. Hear Hear! Although on occasion I have been known to ask the sacred tresure keeper " Oh really sorry to bother you, but you don't happen to have any odd balls of wool/broken jewellery/dog blankets/*insert random item here* for school play" anywhere do you?? Our ladies are all so lovely that you end up with all sorts that you didn't actually want but just felt you had to buy.....
    Also, round up the price - it's not £2.75, it's £3 - it's charity after all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am most heartened by your contribution to my charter.
    Many thanks my thrifting soul x

    ReplyDelete
  12. THIS HAPPENED TO ME! I was perusing the local 'seccies' on my Friday afternoon trawl and some - ahem - rather brusque lady asked if there was any 'older' fabric in the back. Well the dear lady on the counter went away and time ticked by. The rest of us continued to browse, albeit slowly, awaiting her return. Thankfully (no I'm not bitter!) there was none but it did make me question my methods - should I be more bold? Is it a case of 'if you don't ask you don't get? NO! It is not! Surely it's cheating! Thank heavens there are those of us who respect the unwritten rules of charity shopping courtesy!! I have now used too many exclamation marks so I must go!!! Love the blog x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  13. P.S.I don't know how to follow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Jane,
    I am so pleased that there are so many kindred spirits, I was beginning to doubt myself about the unspoken laws in charity land!
    If you'd like to follow me there's a bloglovin button or an email sign up button at the top on the right hand side, cheers for asking, us like minded souls should stick together!
    Love your blog too!
    X

    ReplyDelete

Would you like to make a comment chuck?
I'd love to hear your thoughts, just a minute and I'll put the kettle on.
Custard cream or bourbon?