Friday 26 May 2017

A Few Tips For Beating Creative Fatigue...


It's been a busy few weeks here, and pretty soon the Art Foundation students will be having their Final Exhibition
It's a time of mixed emotions, pride and sadness all rolled into one, and even though I have been teaching for many years, (for exactly half of my life to be precise!) it never gets any easier.
A really important part of the Foundation course is not about techniques and practical skills, but about how to live as a 'creative' and how to understand how your own, unique creativity works.
And it's at times like these that I have to actually practice what I preach because I've been feeling a little bit 'tired', not burnt out or anything like that, just creatively fatigued.
And here are a few strategies that I use to help spark up the old creative juices again:
Try out a new medium.
I painted in gouache today, something I haven't used for a very long time.
( It's also even more exciting when you are cracking open a new box of goodies like I was today!)
Make a mess.
Just go for it, you can always clear up later!
Restrict yourself to a limited palette.
This really helps me, but you could restrict the amount of media used, or size of work, etc.
This can really help you focus, and as they say, 'necessity is the mother of invention'!
It's just child's play.
Remember, this is for fun!
Have no expectations and try not to judge the resulting artwork.
You are feeding your creativity, not creating a masterpiece!
After a full morning of playing, most of the results were put into the recycling pile and I only ended up with these two very small pieces of work that may eventually become 'something'.
But if they don't, it doesn't matter one bit!
I hope you have some time for whatever your creativity craves this weekend.
X


8 comments:

  1. (hmmmm, old photographs are so inspiring too ...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them becaus toucan make up your own stories can't you xxx

      Delete
  2. I love your palate and results of playing are gorgeous. The blue / grey is divine. I expect it has a proper name !
    Good luck to your students & I can't wait to see their exam pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend, I'm keeping my fingers crossed as the students are so fab xxx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Many thanks Ellie, it's so supportive to receive lovely comments. I do get nervous giving 'advice' on my blog xxx

      Delete
  4. I spend far to much time looking round what others are doing and not creating anything myself
    Good luck to all the students at this busy time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Lynn, Pinterest is my guilty pleasure!!!!!!
      Many thanks, they do deserve every success x

      Delete

Would you like to make a comment chuck?
I'd love to hear your thoughts, just a minute and I'll put the kettle on.
Custard cream or bourbon?